[meteorite-list] BLM Law vs Type Sample

From: Doug Ross <doug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 20:46:10 -0700

Very amusing (and valid) points, Martin! Nobody likes to be subjected to new rules and restrictions, and it's easy to speculate about the potential pitfalls of the new BLM rules, but I tend to agree with Norm. If the Feds were really viewing meteorite hunters as public enemy number one, they could have already been citing us for any of these offenses (and more) before the new guidelines were even issued. I seriously doubt that the BLM secret police are going to be out in force, strip searching rock hounders on public land and conducting nickel tests on all rocks found in their possession. Let's not get too carried away here, folks. My guess is that this will all soon die down, the BLM will largely forget about us, and things will pretty much go back to the way they were. Of course, I could be wrong....

It seems to me the people most likely to suffer significant scrutiny and potentially serious consequences are the professional hunters, especially when hunting highly publicized witnessed falls. I don't know what the solution is for that, honestly. Glad I'm just an amateur hunter! Okay, I've donned my asbestos suit, so flame away! ;-)

-Doug Ross