[meteorite-list] BLM Law vs Type Sample

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 00:36:59 -0700 (PDT)

I hope?you and Norm are right.? The BLM should be providing a FAQ page at some point that can put some of the questions to rest.
?
For the record, I'll comply with the?rules.? I've never sold or traded a meteorite I've found so far, so I'll never need a permit.? These changed don't?impact my past practices except now I can only collect 4% of the yearly limit I could before (not that I have been that lucky, but we know people who have, some who aren't considered dealers).
?
My home?is?west?of the Pecos, in a state that's about 88% publicly owned.? Quite a few times?I've been wrongly hassled by federal agents.? They knew they were?wrong and still?intimidated me.? But I have found that if you show some knowledge of the law?and drop a name (like the district ranger) they will move on (even though they had claimed you're breaking the law and they have to dead to rights(!?).? It's clear intimidation.? How many others, doing no harm and wanting to be lawful, give in and go home?? Now that's not?most of the time.? Agents are often very nice and will eagerly share their time and?discuss their area of expertise if you show interest.? But there are a significant percentage of crusaders out there too.
?
Sure, the BLM will not staff up, or peak in your windows or lurk on this forum or check your auctions, but as budgets get tighter, they will look for revenue.? As visitor density continues to increase at a fast pace, use permits will be seen as a good source revenue.? As a minority, meteorite hunters will be squeezed, especially if a significant number of us see this as harmless or as not affecting them.? If we fragment on this, and?casual collection is eventually restricted, we will have lost momentum.? And new limits?will be seen as normal and nothing new.? We will be vilified as grave robbers, and the majority of well-meaning citizens, who want to protect our resources, will see us as such.
?
Government regulations never shrink but we can try to direct their focus.? If we act now and try to open a dialogue about?some minor changes, we could end up with a good system, which would help legitimize our activities and enhance meteorite recovery.
?
I've known people fined by BLM & USFS for doing things that were pretty tame and weren't commercial activity.? And though they weren't fined to the breaking point,?there are examples of Westerners financially ruined while proving they were in the right.??So I'd rather not be faced with a situation like this and let my pack in/pack out, tread-lightly actions speak for me as they have over the last 30 years.? It's funny, I've?stumbled upon scores of places covered over by tons of trash and human excrement and?no agency does anything to clean up?these?easy to find public health hazards.? Problems?which impact more land?surface than our group will cover in a lifetime.
?
If we do nothing, someone we know will be the first unlucky example.? Is Battle Mountain on BLM land?? Will that be the first place to see these rules played out?
?
Clear skies,
Mark