[meteorite-list] Discovered! The Meteorite-List - February,1998

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:28:04 -0600

Team Meteorite:

The archives for the Meteorite-List don't go back, back, back all the
way to the beginning, only to April, 2004.

Wouldn't it be great if the rest of these writings were still lurking
somewhere in cyberspace, just lost under an avalanche of Facebook
deletions, but waiting to be found?

What a treasure trove of contemporary meteorite history they would be-
the successes, scandals, discoveries and adventures we've collectively
experienced and shared, remembering the enemies we've tormented and
the friends we've praised.

Art Jones opened this venue sixteen years ago.

"Our first Meteorite Forum was held just days after the ALH 84001
announcement on August 6, 1996. As I recall, there were only 5 or 6 of
us on the first chat which included Paul Harris and Jim Tobin of
Meteorite Exchange and current editors of METEORITE TIMES, Rick
Kujawa, me and a few others who escape my memory for now." - Michael
Blood

While doing research this especially rainy, rain forest afternoon - my
 neighborhood monkeys have donned waterproof Gortex hoodies
monogrammed "I 'heart' Costa Rica' while they pose for tourists- I
stumbled upon this precious link to our past...

http://www7.pair.com/arthur/meteor/archive/archive4/Feb98/temp/threads.html#00020

It is the entire m-list archive from Feb, 1998. I can't imagine that
any subscriber wouldn't find this worth a look - at least for their
own comments :>)

But for those who need persuasion, let me brief you on the contents to
perhaps pique your interest.

Meteorite List - Month of February, 1998.

Phile Bagnall kicks off the month writing about Ron Farrell's latest
folly (those list members not familiar with Mr. Farrell can 'google'
for a bio). Phil wonders if he too is a member of the vast 'meteorite
community conspiracy' Farrell believes is responsible for his
prediciment.

Frank Stroik (Dept. of Geology & Geophysics, University of Wyoming)
was our first and all-time best resident genius/teacher and he
discusses CI Chondrites with Martin Horejsi. Others join in making
this the longest thread of the month. Great science here!

Ron Baalke opined frequently on the list. Here he correctly argues
against J.E. Bradenburg's paper claiming Mars as the CI parent body.

There's a long thread about Holbrook. Baalke sees no added value in
slices of Holbrook v. individuals. Others cite 'cut loss' and the
rarity of Holbrook specimens 'big enough to even bother slicing' as
factors in legitimately demanding higher per/gram cost for slices.

Matt Morgan's 'tip of the day' is to spray Krylon on Gao slices to
"create a 3-D effect."

Typical of the times, this list existed to help and inform the
community and was growing rapidly. Jim Hurley seeks a sponsor for
MetSoc membership. John Blennert clicks on 'subscribe' to join the
met-list.

Darryl Pitt is proud to have yet another Grammy Award winner in his
stable of jazz stars and plugs a Randy Brecker CD for $10, calling it
'music to read about meteorites by". He gets gigged for being
'off-topic' and apologizes. (Because Darryl mentions it, I purchase
"Into the Sun", an enjoyable basically Brazilian music-scape.)

The Ron Farrell alledged theft-of-Angra-dos-Reis thread intensifies
when Darryl becomes involuntarily involved with this 'Rio Robbery'. "I
received an unwelcomed letter from Ron Farrell's criminal defense
lawyer today and it has prompted me to write the following..." Daniel
Kagan and Joel Conrado's contribute summary comments.

Michael Casper offers a $5,000 reward for a missing $1,900 Page City
Iron meteorite that he later discovers to be lost 'only in the
book-keeping'.

A trickle of one-sies and two-sies of Sikhote-Alin show up for sale as
USSR borders start leaking meteorites. In response, MCasper offloads a
truckload, instantly flooding the market.

Mike Farmer writes from the Tucson show, "I have the pleasure of
running two tables of meteorites single handedly for Michael Casper! I
find this to be quite a challenge and a privilege!" Mike graciously
helps Richard Norton with book signings of 'Rocks from Space.'

I count six 'sales ads' out of about 240 messages. One of them is
written by some guy calling himself 'MARSROX - Meteorite Dealer'-and
he offers 2.3 grams of DAG 319 Urelite for sale. At this pre-NWA time,
the only Urelites collectors could dream of owning were Goalpura (an
Indian fall from 1868), Kenna (New Mexico) and North Haig (Australia).

Bernd Pauley is perfecting his generous act of 'completing threads' by
producing science paper abstracts germane to the topic at hand. They
were far more difficult to locate then, pre-search engine.

Does anyone doubt that Bernd lives by the 'Lion's Club Motto' ....
"look for the good in people and praise it"?

Back on the 1998 bulletin board, Jeff Grossman is already helping us
mind our H5's and L6's, Joel Schiff is a frequent contributor as
Meteorite magazine blasts off higher than the rockets he literally
sends into the stratosphere these days, Steve Arnold is a 'Meteorite
Men' in training, and astute and courteous comments are contributed
by:

Michael Blood, Jim Strope, JJ Swain, Al Mitterling, David Weir, Paul
Harris and Tim Heitz... ... and then there is 'O', who's subject title
always is 'No Subject'. There are many others that write that are no
longer 'with us' but whom you may remember.

But I saved the best for last.

It's February 24, 1998.

Martin Horejsi writes that he has found errors in "Rocks from Space".

Oh, oh.

The author responds - "Martin ........

To read Richard's full and fascinating explanation go to the link.

RIP, ORN.

This and much more transpired in only one month. Amazing! Grab a cup
of coffee, a spot of tea, a cold one and check it out, there's plenty
to chuckle about and fondly recall 'back when we were young' :>)

http://www7.pair.com/arthur/meteor/archive/archive4/Feb98/temp/threads.html#00020

>From Nine Degrees North....

Kevin Kichinka
Santa Ana, Costa Rica