[meteorite-list] Orionoid micrometeorites

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:51:53 -0600

I doubt you were seeing micrometeorites, and almost certainly not
Orionid micrometeorites. While there is iron in Halley's dust trail, it
remains a trace constituent. Orionid micrometeorites should be
silicates, not iron particles.

You don't state the size of particles observed, but typical
micrometeorites are in the 1-10 um diameter range. These particles
require months or even years to settle to the ground. Even huge
micrometeorites- 100 um diameter- would require about 100 hours to reach
the ground, so you wouldn't see them until days after the shower peak.

I've recovered particles very much like what you describe (using a
custom built micrometeorite collection device), and have subjected the
most interesting to examination under an electron microscope (with
dispersion analysis). All proved to be nothing more than industrial
smokestack debris- and I'm high in the Rockies where the air has a very
low particulate count. Where you live, I doubt you'd ever pick out
micrometeorites from the vast array of industrial pollutants.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com