[meteorite-list] Orionoid micrometeorites

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 09:30:16 -0400

In confirmation of what Chris responded, this comes from Mike Zolensky, who
studies cosmic dust and curates the NASA collection. -jeff

Hi Brandon
I can take a stab at answering your questions. Many persons have tried this
experiment in the past, and invariably they have found that the collected
material is from windblown terrestrial dust, airborne waste from coal fired
power plants, airplanes, even debris from reentering spacecraft materials.
Even among collected magnetic grains the percentage of extraterrestrial
materials is less than 1 in a million. The Orionids originate from Comet
Halley, and enter the atmosphere at very high velocity (~80 km/s), pretty
much guaranteeing that all the comet dust gets oxidized, melted, and
vaporized. The magnetic materials you have probably contains magnetite,
which is also attracted to magnet, and probably mainly derives from power
plants.
Sorry to discourage you. 25 years ago Bill Cassidy and Bob Wittkowski tried
your experiment at the South Pole, where it is much cleaner than anywhere in
the US. They came up with essentially no micrometeorites. Last year we
repeated this experiment on a remote pacific Atoll, and even there we expect
to have to wade through millions of terrestrial grains to find a few
micrometeorites.
Mike

Michael Zolensky
KT NASA Johnson Space Center