[meteorite-list] BATTLE MOUNTAIN

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 10:41:57 -0700 (PDT)

Some more notes of caution.

I have been getting reports from that some hunters have been on less-than-admirable behavior resulting in several arrests.? Please do not ruin it for the rest of us who have yet to make the journey!? I live here in Nevada so I take it personally when I hear bad news or false claims coming from the Field. Respect miners, BLM and police personal working in the area. They can make it difficult to search if you upset them any more. It may already be too late!?

The very first meteorite recovered was found by a miner within hours of the fall.?? Add in a few other later finds and it appears to be a rather large strewn-field meaning that both federal and private property will be in play.

There have been reports of rattlesnakes in the area, especially in the morning when they come out to warm up.? Dress appropriately because the nearest help may be over 60 miles away.? Also you may experience headaches for a few days since the altitude is between 6,200 and 7,100 feet in the so-far established find zone.

Happy Hunting,

Adam