[meteorite-list] BaM01 classified - the hunt for halite crystals

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 21:45:45 -0700 (PDT)

Regarding the recent characterization of the BaM01 (L6S4W0) stone:

I realize that there was some hope that we would find halite crystals, but that was back when it was predicted that this meteorite might be an "H6".? (At least, I got the "6" part right ;-)? Now that we meteorite-finders are no longer bringing magnets in contact with our fresh fall finds, it has become more difficult to determine H versus L fully-crusted stones.?

Another thing to consider is that this thin-section came from a portion of the BaM01 stone that was close to the exterior and was close to where the fusion-crust had been chipped-off.
Also, one of the first comments by Alan Rubin when he first examined the BaM01 thin-section was how "extensively fractured" were the grains.?

All of the above conspire to decrease the odds of finding any halite crystals.? And even if they did originally exist, given that the BaM01 stone sat on the ground for 10 days and experienced at least one major rainstorm, it only increases the odds that they might have been dissolved by rainwater.?

The hunt for halite crystals might resume, if the core of another (perhaps larger) fully-fusion-crusted, uncompromised stone could be analyzed.

Just a few things to consider.? Hopefully there will be other surprises resulting from future studies.

Bob V.