[meteorite-list] Fw: BaM01 classification

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 21:41:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,

It is my distinct pleasure to report that Dr. Alan Rubin has characterized the BaM01 stone that I found on Sept. 1st 2012 near Battle Mtn. Nevada:

It is " L6 S4 W0 ".?

More details are in the description that he sent to me (see below).?

This "description" will form a part of the table that is required when a name is requested for approval by the Nomenclature Committee (NomCom) of the Meteoritical Society (MetSoc).? When this proposed name has been decided and all the data for the table has been completed, I will submit that form to the editor of the Meteoritical Bulletin, who will present the "request" to the NomCom for vote and approval.?

The type specimen for this meteorite will be comprised only partly by a full-slice of BaM01 - the remainder of type specimen to meet the required 20grams is a fragment from BaM09 and was graciously donated by the finder, Martin Cunningham, a local resident of Battle Mountain.

More acknowledgements and thanks:

Thanks to Dr. Rubin (UCLA) for his very prompt characterization of BaM01.

"BaM01" and "BaM09" are simply field ID initialisms for a meteorite (that is still awaiting formal approval of its eventual name) that fell on:
22 Aug 2012 0617 UTC
which was widely observed (with many reports sent to the American Meteor Society) and which was reported by Dirk Ross on his website:
MBIQ (Meteor Bot Internet Query) <http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com>

The recovery of this meteorite (pieces of which are still being found) was made possible from the research conducted by Marc Fries of Galactic Analytics LLC. Marc should be congratulated for promptly and correctly predicting the fall location of these meteorites. He and his colleagues are conducting cutting-edge advancements in meteorite-recovery through the analysis of Doppler weather radar data. Kudos to his team.
More information can be found here:
http://www.galacticanalytics.com/battle-mountain-nv-22-aug-2012-0617-utc/

With best regards to all,
Bob Verish