[meteorite-list] Diogenite Nomenclature

From: barrat at univ-brest.fr <barrat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 20:44:58 +0200

Hi,

the "problem" of the taxonomy of diogenites has been discussed recently in this
paper:

Andrew W. BECK and Harry Y. McSWEEN Jr (2010),Diogenites as polymict breccias
composed of orthopyroxenite and harzburgite, Meteoritics & Planetary Science,
Volume 45, Issue 5, May 2010, Pages: 850?872,
 DOI: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01061.x

The authors have proposed an adaptation of the classical classification of
terrestrial ultramafic rocks. I agree with their suggestions. Depending of the
proportion of olivine, harzburgitic diogenites and dunitic diogenites can be
defined.

The difficulty of the classification of diogenites is the size of the samples
used by classifiers. These lithologies are often extremely heterogeneous, and it
is often not possible to determine accurately the proportion of olivine using a
single polished section. Anyway, the problem of taxonomy is not a critical
scientific issue. Of course, it is important to determine the abundance of
olivine in a diogenite, but this proportion does not change the interpretation
we have on these rocks. At present, all the diogenites which have been
investigated in depth, are cumulate rocks, certainly coming from a number of
intrusions. These intrusions contain certainly different types of rocks,
including regular diogenites and olivine bearing diogenites. For example, trace
elements indicate that NWA5480 and Tatahouine come probably from the same
intrusion... Not from the mantle of the parent body.

Cheers

Jean-Alix