[meteorite-list] BLM New Meteorite Hunting Rules

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 06:07:02 -0700 (PDT)

I have always stated that when meteorites are treated like treasure, the self-proclaimed and sometimes elected rulers of U.S. soil will treat them the same.

Yep, they just can't stay away from the feeding trough.? Permits and fines are usually just another way to tax fellow "comrades." ? I want to know who the group is that decided these new rules (taxes) were necessary in order to "protect" these meteorites?? All they will have accomplished in the end is pushing the finding of this "treasure" underground.? Perhaps some well placed letters to our representatives will result in them be fired for wasting time and taxpayers money on such a thin market.

Meteorites are nothing but another commodity as far as they are concerned.? Excuse me, I meant to say collectable which can be taxed in the highest capitol gains bracket.? Many do not know that the commodities gold,silver and platinum are no longer considered investments by those in charge and have been secretly moved into the collectables bracket in the new health care reform law.? A form called a 1009-B (B for bullion) will be issued to purchasers of these commodities, I mean collectables.? Don't get caught with gold in your IRA or as part of your investment portfolio.? What will be the next collectable, perhaps pork bellies or heating oil?? Seems un-American to me.?

That's my rant for the day. Just had to vent some anger over this poor situation brought on by others!

Adam? ? ?