[meteorite-list] New BLM Rules

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:36:38 -0700

To the best of my knowledge and from my point of view, the federal
government has never impeded the recovery of meteorites. People have
always assumed 25 pounds per day based on other rules. No one really
had any issue. There has always been internet chatter about whether
it was legal or not, stories that could not be proved. Everyone knew
at anytime they could be challenged in regards to ownership (and still
can be).
So, to say more, not less, is not really correct.
These new rules did clarify the detector use issue.

So, a question begs..... How many professional meteorite hunters are
in the USA that actively hunt for profit??? I can count the ones I
know on my hands. How many showed up to the recent fall, Battle
Mountain? According the nice report from Larry Atkins, what was
it...about 16 people total? So the BLM is doing this for a few
handfuls of people! At it's best it is silly and an absolute waste of
taxpayer money. I am guessing there are less than 200 "professional"
hunters in the USA and the real number is probably less than 50.

To think this is an issue that derserves national action is nuts.
They can not enforce the rules they have now clearly, and they are
just piling on more oppressive rules they can not enforce! And if
they nail the wrong guy, it would go to the highest court of the land
and likely get thrown out.
The Old Women case was a joke and not handled well at all by the defense.

Kind regards!

Jim