[meteorite-list] New BLM Rules - Update - Arizona

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:07:45 -0700

I've been working on understanding the new BLM rules all day and have
some information to share....
I am ONLY speaking about Arizona and what I gathered today after
several conversations with the BLM.

1. Institutions like ASU, NAU, UofA can apply for permits on a
statewide level in the name of Science to gather fresh falls where the
hunters would be "giving", not trading
     meteorites from fresh falls. This would be done in advance and
hunters supporting the instititions, not for profit, would not be
delayed because of the permits.

2. Permits are going to take anywhere from 60 to 185 days to complete
for profit seekers.

3. At this time, ok to hunt meteorites at Franconia in the Warm
Spring Wilderness based on current Land Use Plans.

Now, this is all subject to change. I specifically talked about the
statewide permits and it sounded like this would not be any problem.
It would take the Meteoritic departments to do this if they would be
willing. I sure hope they do look into this and do it.

4. Hunters that sell meteorites (dealers) will have to go through the
permit process.

I am sure, More to come...

--
Jim Wooddell