[meteorite-list] Roach Dry Lake Finds

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 02:12:07 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, congratulations to David, because a RhDL find is a well-earned feather added to his cap.
And yes, I agree with Count Deiro, because I was also one of those people that "thought there couldn't be another specimen out there."

But I already had that misconception dispelled right in front of my eyes by someone close to me; that's right, Monika Waiblinger. She had cajoled me into taking her to Roach Dry Lake, and I even said "You know, we're wasting our time because we're not going to find anything".?
Of course, she wasted no time proving me wrong:

http://tinyurl.com/moni-primm

It was clearly a corner fragment to what what must have been a very much larger individual.? I was stunned.
I tried to explain to Moni that this was the first sizable fragment found since 2004, but not only that, I was convinced this would physically-pair to one of Nick Gessler's original Primm (H5) masses, which were all found in the previous century.

I made it clear to Moni that in no way was I saying that she found something that was missed by others in all that time. Quite the contrary. This fragment appeared to have been recently exhumed.? Up until then, it was not available to have been found.? I found this as evidence that dry-lake surfaces can be replenished by exhuming shallow-buried meteorites.? The question is, over what period of time, or is the burial-exhumation process cycling frequently.?

I shared this "replenishment" theory with other finders of Roach Dry Lake meteorites, but most were skeptical and held to their "must-have-been-missed" theory (gradualism). But when they returned to their old find sites/monuments/piles-of-rocks and soon found nearby "more" meteorites (that could not have been missed), they became ardent supporters of the "replenishment" theory.?
Some of these finds have been documented. Here is a 2010 find:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=52982

And much more recently, another woman (whose name I am not at liberty to divulge) found a RhDL meteorite which I suspect is not-paired, so I am getting it classified for her:

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/nevmets/v-rhdl-ts.jpg

So, instead of the notion that "hard hit areas, will only get continually more difficult to find anything", it may be more prudent to recognize that conditions could change overnight, and that subsequent finds may be more a matter of timing; being at the right place at the right time (after a fortuitous exhumation event).

Bob V.