[meteorite-list] West, Texas - Personal Thoughts & Experience...

From: Greg Hupé <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:28:50 -0400

A special reach out to the folks of West, Texas...

As most of my friends know, my primary interest for a good portion of my
life has been with meteorites and all things related to them. In February of
2009 a meteorite event woke up the small town of West, Texas and their lives
were changed by all of us 'rock geeks' who descended upon their happy,
slow-paced farming town. Before that meteorite fell, the baked goods may
have been one of the most popular commodities to date. After 'we' showed up,
rocks from space were for a short time.

During the months that followed that fateful day, us meteorite hunters were
welcomed by land owners to hunt their land for these black rocks that fell
upon them. The entire town welcomed us strangers from around the world to be
part of their daily lives as we walked their lands with our eyes glued to
the ground, searching for those prized stones.

Today as the black smoke subsides and the devastation reveals itself from
last night's tragedy, I am so very saddened for the residents of this small
town with a HUGE heart that welcomed me and my friends to be a part of their
lives, if not for just a short few weeks, months and in some cases years of
searching for those elusive rocks from space. What I truly value and
appreciate is the open arms of friendship and family that the folks of West,
Texas afforded the meteorite community.

I thought I would share my personal experience of being in West, Texas some
years ago. My heart is heavy and am so very sorry for the lost lives and
injured there. Knowing the strong nature of my Texas friends, they will not
only heal and mend, they will rebuild and prosper. I know this may be mere
words, but these are words from my heart and experience with these very
folks I consider friends!!

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Hup?