[meteorite-list] Franconia AREA (was, Re: ...terminology...)

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 22:52:27 -0700 (PDT)

In my original post I neglected to add a link to the Hutson paper.
Here is the link to the "News" page from the Met. Bull. Database:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/MetBullNews.php?id=1

On that MetBull webpage is a link to the Melinda Hutson paper:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/maps.12062/abstract

It was my hope that my post would draw some interest and get more people to read this recent M&PS article. (2013 March, Vol.48 No.3 pg.365)

The thrust of my (partial) review was that many long-held assumptions about the Franconia area have been overturned by this paper.? Actually, a better phrase would be, "many sacred-cows have been slaughtered".
My post was a plea that if you were going to put in print some observation about the Franconia Area, you had better read this paper first.

I am in agreement with what is at the heart of Erik's post, so I don't want his point missed because of a technicality with his reference to the Gold Basin Fall.? I consider myself as a student of that strewn-field and, although there are many different meteorites found in the Gold Basin AREA, nowhere in the literature has anything other than L4-6 Fa:24?1 been attributed to the Gold Basin fall.

Prior to reading this recent paper, I was in complete agreement with Larry about the relative terrestrial age of the L-chondrites, particularly the "fresh-appearing" BM002 & BM003 stones. But that was just another cow-shaped assumption. Terrestrial age-dating for 10 stones from the Franconia Area were presented in this paper, and aside from the lone H6 stone (BM001) all of the L-chondrites dated older than the H-falls.
Here is the relative order of falls:

1. BM 001 ~20kyr ago
2. BM 003 ~11kyr ago
3. Palo Verde Mine ~10kyr ago
4. BM 004 ~ 8kyr ago
5. BM 005 ~ 7kyr ago
6. BMW 4.0?0.7kyr ago
7. Franconia "fell recently"

Looking forward to hearing from others who have read this article.

Have a good night,
Bob V.

General List Policies:
  6. Make sure you can back up statements with -facts and references-