[meteorite-list] Struga, Macedonia

From: Dieter Heinlein <dieter-heinlein_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 08:11:30 +0100

Hello Carsten, Rob, Larry and Anne,

I got the offer of Mr. Ljupco as well and have investigated the case.

Obviously there was an authentic meteorite fall on Sep 27, 1972 at
about 6:00 local time near Struga, Macedonia. Several pieces of a
chondrite have been collected from an impact pit. One large piece
with fusion crust, weighing 2.7 kg went to the Skopje Museum.
Other pieces from the impact site have been taken by private parties.

The investigation of the material and the article mentioned by Carsten
were carried out using material from a private owner. Curiously this
specimen looked much more weathered than the Museum piece...?
For unknown reasons it was not possible or allowed to investigate
the 2.7 kg main mass from the Skopje Museum in 2009, when the
article by Biljana Minceva-Sukarova was written and published.
That was the reason, why the Nom Com of the Meteorite Bulletin
did not accept the meteorite fall so far.

Actually the Macedonian scientists wanted to analyze the obviously
fresh and genuine Struga meteorite piece. But they were informed,
that the 2.7 kg main mass was stolen from the Skopje Museum
more than a year ago. So chances are bad, that this fall will get the
status "official" soon.

Kind regards

Dieter