[meteorite-list] Nininger number

From: Anne Black <impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 13:33:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Derek and Maurizio,

Both numbers are indeed Nininger numbers.
Maurizio, your number is really 34.6088.

34 means that Canyon Diablo was the 34th meteorite that Nininger found,
and all the Canyon Diablo in Nininger's collection had that number. The
second number is specific to the specimens you have; the very first
Canyon Diablo Nininger collected had the number 34.1, the next one had
the number 34.2. So you have specimens that he collected much later in
his life, the 5478th and the 6088th.

I checked the book, the "Nininger Collection of Meteorites", published
in 1950, and the highest number there is 34.1338.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com