[meteorite-list] two fireballs

From: Joshua Tree Earth & Space Museum <dorifry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:28:41 -0500

BAM!

Phil Whitmer
Joshua Tree Earth & Space Museum
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jodie Reynolds" <spacerocks at spaceballoon.org>
To: "Steve Dunklee" <steve.dunklee at yahoo.com>
Cc: <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] two fireballs

Hello Steve,

I have more than 70 patents in the space in nineteen countries.
I'm the Chief Technology Officer for a company that designs and sells
digital video surveillance equipment -- I sell close to 30,000 systems a
year.

My masters degrees are in mathematics and electrical engineering with
an emphasis on optical physics, and I've been in the digital video
space inventing compression algorithms for more than two dozen years.

So, yeah, let's go ahead and investigate my "snow job", shall we?

Most cheap dash cameras being imported now are 1080p/30. 1080p/20 is a
favored option to maximize SD card usage. They differ from ATSC in
that they don't generally support 1080p/60.

For Example:
http://www.amazon.com/1080P-Dashboard-Camera-Accident-Vision/dp/B0099KGDQ2
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/new-real-hd-1080p-h264-5m-car-dashboard-camera-recorder-accident-dvr/225640553.html?listingId=174887992
http://www.espow.com/product_info.php?products_id=50672&currency=USD&gsc=googleshopping&gclid=CMfrtJmH07UCFYKDQgodMSoAAQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Car-DVR-HD-1080P-Cam-Recorder-Camcorder-Vehicle-Dashboard-Camera-F900LHD-/251182177426?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item3a7b9fdc92
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-DVR-HD-1080P-Cam-Recorder-Camcorder-Vehicle-Dashboard-Camera-Hot-Sale-/330840799556?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item4d07a5f944
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-FULL-HD-1080P-Car-Camera-DVR-GPS-Logger-Vehicle-Black-Box-Video-Recorder-/320741840995?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item4aadb41863

No dash cameras have been produced for public consumption at sub-D1
in at least five years. Mobile DVRs will often offer CIF for
multiple channel recording however (a limitation of the NTSC or PAL
scan converter).

640x280 is a non-existent format, as that would be 0.4375, not ending
on a byte boundary. You're thinking of 240 lines. And it wouldn't be
640 (square pixels), it would be 704. Or perhaps you're thinking of
SIF in a 525 line domain, which would be 352x240, or CIF in the 625
line domain (352x288).

The container format was, in fact, MP4. The codec used for
compression was AVC. AVC is aka MPEG4 AVC (Advanced Video Codec),
which is also known as h.264 **see below.

The original submitted video was 1080p. Youtube has offered 1080p
since 2009.
http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2009/11/1080p-hd-comes-to-youtube.html

We can see the offered streams from youtube as/per:
http://www.spaceballoon.org/available-streams.jpg

There is no such video container or codec as "pmg" that I'm aware of -
 Would you provide the FOURCC for that?

 My stills are in PNG (Portable Network Graphics) as I noted
originally. __MPG__ is the Motion
Pictures expert Group [of which I've been a member off-and-on as well
as on several working groups over the years), and MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, MPEG
AVC (aka h.264,
aka MPEG7 aka MPEG4 Layer 7, etc.) are all possible with additional
qualifications of things
such as differing levels of motion prediction, different transport
layers, and different containers.

Now, would you like to say anything else incredibly stupid, or would
you like to apologize for attacking me in your blind ignorance and we
can just let it go?

**Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42