[meteorite-list] Meteoroid/Asteroid Electro-Magnetic Disruption and Charge Properties?

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:00:59 -0700

Hi Dirk and all!

There were so many different pressures placed on this object, not sure
you could point to a single one conclusively to answer your question
about resonance. You would have to define the causes to consider
resonance.

I suppose if we knew the air density we could SWAG the ram pressure
(which I'd guess may be the single largest contributor) as the mass
has already been determined. I have not heard anyone give those
details yet. Was the mass determined upon entry or when it burst? It
did have some time to ablate.

I think the physicists have their work cut out and I look forward to
reading about it!

In regards to the strewn field. I think it's going to take a lot of
time to determine it. They have a great opportunity to record a
spectacular strewn field. The frenzy probably hosed that hope up
already. With other known strewn fields, such as JaH 073 at ~19.6km
long and Franconia at ~17km long, it may take a while to find large
fragments. We know in both of these fields, thousands of small 0-20
gram fragments were recovered on the beginning end and middle of the
fields and much much larger fragments down field many kilometers away.
  I am hoping to hear some 40kg + frags are found!

Cheers!

Jim Wooddell