[meteorite-list] the preposition before

From: Peter Scherff <PeterScherff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 11:49:30 -0500

Hi,
        With the lively discussion about fall/find terminology recently
going on I thought that it is a good time to ask the lists opinion (if it i
ever a good time to ask the list for an opinion) about a preposition that I
have started to add to my descriptions of meteorites. The preposition that I
am talking about is "before". I often insert "before" between "found" and
the date i.e. Found before 1576. To me this acknowledges the truth that the
meteorite was known to exist prior to is discovery by western society.
"Before" also indicates that there may be an interesting pre-discovery
history. So my questions to the list are: Does my use of "before" make a
difference to you? Is it confusing or informative? Or is it just a waste of
ink and electrons?

Thanks,

Peter