[meteorite-list] the preposition before

From: Anne Black <impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 13:24:19 -0500 (EST)

Makes perfect sense to me, Peter.
There are many meteorites that were known long before they were
"discovered". Since I bought an old collection with many meteorites I
had never seen or even heard of before, I have had to do a lot of
research, Thank Heavens for the Buchwald books!! If you don't have
them, get them! They are full of interesting and sometimes rather
funny stories about the discovery or re-discovery of meteorites. Here
is one I have posted on my site right now:

IRON CREEK:
Medium Octahedrite, IIIA
A mass of 175kilos was reported as being in a farmyard in Victoria, a
village 140 km east-northeast
of Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) in 1871. It had been moved there from the
summit of a hill some
150km. south of Victoria, by Iron Creek, a tributary of the Battle
River and it had been known by the
local Cree and Blackfoot Indians for much longer than anyone could
remember. The mas was highly
venerated and tribute was paid to it in the form of trinkets and beads.
When it was removed they regretted
it and feared dire repercussions; in fact only a few months later an
epidemic of smallpox decimated the tribes.
  The main mass is now in the Victoria University in Toronto, Canada.
(thanks to Dr Vaugh Buchwald)

To me those stories are very interesting and very important; meteorites
have influenced the lives of so many people in so many different ways.

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com
IMPACTIKA at aol.com