[meteorite-list] ureilite for sale

From: Graham Ensor <graham.ensor_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 02:48:03 +0100

I cannot see anything wrong with people at source offering material
they think might be a certain classification/meteorite...that's how
the market has worked for years and most of the big dealers have
gambled on buying that way...many many exciting meteorites have come
out of NWA and elswhere that way...this has always happened and will
not stop....it is just up to each individual to judge how reliable and
professional or amateur the source is and then to get the material
checked out professionally classified themselves before offering it
further. It is quite possible to make accurate judgments about a
possible classification with enough experience. On one hunting trip I
found 3 meteorites that stood out from the rest, identifying them in
the field as a possible Ureilite, a CV3 and an L3. All have since been
officially classified as exactly what was written down in the field
notes.

There will always be scammers, naive hopefuls and the delusioned but
they are usually easily spotted. It is obviously wise to buy properly
classified material from reputable dealers, especially when starting
out....but part of the later hobby/profession is the excitement of
taking a few gambles in order to find new or rarer material to be
studied that might add to science and meteoritics.

I'm sure, Anne, that you were very careful who you bought slices of
Chelyabinsk from for making thin sections.....but I doubt that those
actual individual samples had been classified and that you relied on
the word of the hunter who obtained them and your own visual judgement
that they were Chelyabinsk? Exactly as I did. There were tables full
of Chelyabinsk in Ensisheim....at least that's what we all thought
they were? ;-)

Graham