[meteorite-list] Mifflin meteorite for sale on EBay

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 20:46:39 -0700

Hello Bill, Brandon, Mendy, all,
Honestly, this slice doesn't look bad. If you compare the breccias:

(real, from a stone found by Sonny Clary)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSEUM-QUALITY-CRUSTED-FULL-SLICE-MAGNIFICENT-MIFFLIN-METEORITE-L5-12-57-GMS-/200687083720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb9e1e0c8

(?)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIFFLIN-L5-METEORITE-8-26g-BEAUTIFUL-CRUSTED-SLICE-WITNESSED-FALL-4-14-2010-/271220743348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f26041cb4&nma=true&si=jHrsL50utK2qqpfbNFqr9%252BcmQSM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It looks good. The textures are close, if not identical. But, we
know the same seller sliced and sold an unclassified NWA L/LL as
Amgala (proven via photographic comparison of sister slices by another
list-member). And, we know the variety of NWAs available. It would
be tough to find a match this good. But not impossible.

Mendy suggested Ash Creek -- they're close, but the brecciated portion
of Ash Creek is almost always a lighter grey color and the
unbrecciated lasts look a little more homogenous (makes sense, since
Ash Creek is an L6 and Mifflin's an L5). Definitely discernible in a
line-up of photos.

Meh. If I really wanted a slice of Mifflin, I'd probably buy this
slice. But I'd scrutinize the hell of out of it, ask him for his
source, and verify provenance as far as I could with photos, weights,
invoices, etc. Not a purchase I'd personally consider. But it is
cheap - if it's real.

Jason

www.fallsandfinds.com