[meteorite-list] Membrane boxes go boom?

From: hall at meteorhall.com <hall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 15:12:25 -0500

   I have been removing most of my .25g to 5g specimens from membrane
boxes and putting them into gem boxes with the glass tops of 3 sq. cm,
or 1 3/16" sq. It is much easier to see the specimen through glass then
the plastic. I put a label, written in pencil, inside under the foam.
Another stick-on-label goes on the outside bottom. I also put a section
of Intercept Corrosion copper material inside, under the foam bottom.
The foam is covered with a cloth that is black on one side and white on
the other, giving you a choice.
   I attended a museum talk on preservation of mineral specimens and
labels some many years ago, and learned that pencil will outlast even
India ink. Most inks will fade away in less then a century, but pencil
will last as long as the paper lasts. I also use acid free paper inside
the box. So the labels will last far, far longer than I will.
   The Intercept Corrosion material will not stop a ruster specimen from
rusting away, as I tried a problem Campo (that I had just cleaned up)
set inside a riker box, set directly on the Intercept material. In six
months time the fractures were filled with rust. I'm just hoping that
the material will help keep the usually stable meteorites from
developing into a ruster while enclosed.
   The glass top gem boxes fit into a nice looking case that holds 32
specimens. The case cost around $14.00 plus a few bucks for the 32 box
divider. I bought them at the Tucson Show in 2012.
   For problem meteorites (rusters) both iron and stony, I recently
started using the Australian museum method of meteorite preservation,
using Al foil and sodium carbonate in hot, distilled water. I use a
crock pot to treat the specimens that will fit into it. I set the crock
pot heat on high. I mix up the sodium carbonate and warm water in the
pot. I slowly warm up the meteorite in an oven (don't want any
temperature shock). I wrap the meteorite in Al foil that I have holed
with a fork, so the water can move around the specimen. Then I set the
warmed specimen into the crock pot and leave the specimens in for an
hour or so. I agitate the water every 15 minutes or so, and sometimes
add a little more sodium carbonate. LEAVE the crock pot lid OFF, as
some gases are produced. I set the crock pot under an open window. And
NO! I don't reuse the crock pot for my winter soup.
   Always wear eye protection and rubber gloves and follow the normal
safety rules. Check out the Australian museum site or the
meteoritemarket/galvanic site for more info and the mixture formula.
Cheers, Fred Hall