[meteorite-list] sharp protrusion from an iron meteorite

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 03:59:32 -0800

Martin, Adam,

Unless you've analyzed every single fragment of NWA XXXX (4880, or
whatever else) that you've sold, you or someone else is guilty of
self-pairing without analytical data. Having one stone analyzed
doesn't do any good. I've seen slices from the official NWA 7034
stone, and several complete pairings. If I were the dealer who had
had the stone analyzed, I would be able to self-pair the fragments and
no one would care. If I'd donated a few grams, you wouldn't be
jumping on my back. And the other ten or so fragments would be
untested and fine by your standards, regardless of what they looked
like.

So...this isn't about authenticity. It's about getting me to donate a
few of the ten grams I had to science. Which, normally, I would say
is a worthy goal. In this case, it still is. Probably more-so due to
the 'special-ness' of the material. But, other dealers raised the
price to the point that buying even ten grams from Morocco stretched
my budget, so...I'd prefer to sell material for half of what other
folks are offering it for, which in turn makes it easier for me to
break even and keep some.

Part of the issue I have with these threads is that you don't seem to
give a darn about the science. You're just attacking *me.*

Some of the folks at Berkeley wanted to run a sample for their
research. A smaller fragment works for their purposes (argon dating
or for atmospheric data, I'm not sure). So, you can rest assured that
this material will be analytically confirmed soon enough. It doesn't
take 20% to do that.

----------

Adam. I would point out that we purchased NWA 3200 from you as a
pairing to Tafrawet [NWA 860]. The pattern looked different, so we
bought all of the still-available slices on ebay and gave some to
UCLA. New iron. We tried messaging the other buyers about it, but
only one ever responded. Don't know if the other buyers ever figured
it out.

And someone else reminded me off-list of some slices of NWA 869 sold
back in the day as a new meteorite. The disgruntled buyers only
realized it later, having paid more for their new...apparent pairing.
Not that folks aren't still analyzing pieces of NWA 869 -- not to
mention selling other meteorites as paired stones. But, no seasoned
dealer would make such a rookie mistake, right? It's easy to
self-pair such easily recognizable stones, despite never having sent
one in for analysis.

Which reminds me: none of this is new.

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg24653.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg24503.html

To which I'll say the following. The NWA 7034-paired material I have
came from the same area and from the same source as did much of the
other pairings. My source traveled directly to the find site to
obtain it. That, paired with its appearance, is good enough for me.
You used the same argument for your NWA 1110/1068 pairings several
years ago.

Jason