[meteorite-list] Astrobiologists Find Stuff

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:46:44 -0500

Count,

You said:
> ...Asimov was making a wild ass guess as to the
> 10,000 to one Oxygen/Chlorine ratio and he never
> presented one paper to support his hypothesis.

Asimov wasn't presenting a scientific paper. He was
writing a popular article in a popular magazine. There
are no referencew in magazine pieces. Again, he wasn't
making hypotheses; he was presenting the well-known
science of the time. The cosmic abundances were being
determined for forty years before this article was writteen.

Here's a current table of the values:
http://www.kayelaby.npl.co.uk/chemistry/3_1/3_1_3.html
and a bit clearer example at:
http://old.orionsarm.com/science/Abundance_of_Elements.html

Counting atoms for cosmic abundances is tricky. People
have tried by counting atoms in Earth's sea water, in the
crustal rocks of the Earth, by analyzing meteorite abundances,
by spectroscopic analysis of the Sun and of other stars.

The table in the first reference gives figures for all of these
sources; water, rocks, meteorites, Sun, stars... (I don't know
which one Asimov was using.) It works because our star
and rocks (planets) are all made out of the same stuff and
similar stars are made from almost identical stuff.

The ratios may have been refined since 1957, but they haven't
changed that much. And Isaac only mentions one "noble" gas:
neon.

As for Mars, I have another argument. Mars had a warm wet
past. Any simple life there probably started then. So, life has
had 3-4 billion years to get its act together. IF there is life on
Mars, don't you think it would evolve a little bit in all that time?
Do something that would get our attention? Leave visible
evidence of its presence? Life expands, spreads, complicates.
If there were life on Mars, wouldn't it have done SOMETHING
in three billion years?

I don't believe in patient little microbes that do nothing for
billions of years. It says to me that there's nobody home...

Sterling K. Webb
From: "Count Deiro" <countdeiro at earthlink.net>
To: "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>; "Richard
Montgomery" <rickmont at earthlink.net>; "Michael Mulgrew"