[meteorite-list] Postal insurance claim or stamps.com.

From: Yinan Wang <veomega_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:51:06 -0400

To answer Paul about why they wanted to keep the broken item:

When the post office's insurance pays out for something, they own it,
whether or it's broken, destroyed, etc. The broken item's are
eventually sold off as salvage or entered into the Lost Package
Auctions. This is how they recover part of the insurance payouts.

Every month the post office holds a big auction (or at least until
recently when they contracted it out) where they auction off lots
composed of items that were lost in the mail or had insurance paid out
on it.

I've attended these auctions before, they are quite amazing, they take
place in a warehouse the size of a football field. Items are grouped
in lots, for example: an 80 lb hamper of jeans, a cubic meter of
textbooks, a cabinet of thousands of silver coins, entire boxes of
gold rings, and yes, there is usually a small cabinet composed of
rocks and loose stones. So yes, if you lose a meteorite in the mail or
had insurance pay out and they keep it, it will end up at one of these
auctions.

Before anyone jumps in with angry claims that they're purposefully
losing mail: this is packages only, they don't sell letters or other
postal things. They do make an effort to return things (open packages
and look for addresses inside, look for any contact info, etc) and
usually return a decent percentage of items.

-Yinan