[meteorite-list] Million's of Dollars of Tunguska Meteorites may be located, just like Chelyabinsk's Meteorites: OUTSIDE of, NOT INSIDE, the Blast Zone.

From: Steve Arnold <meteorhntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 12:28:10 -0400 (EDT)

Million's of Dollars of Tunguska Meteorites?may be located, just
like?Chelyabinsk's Meteorites: OUTSIDE of, NOT INSIDE, the Blast Zone.
?
Help!?
?
OK, I am not a rocket scientist that understands all the physics of
fireball entry, "blast zones," break ups and distribution of meteorite
fragments on the ground, however some of you are.? So tell me if I am
way off the mark here?
?
Robert Beauford and I were talking about Chelyabinsk shortly after the
fall and he asked how many Chelyabinsk meteorites were being found in
the city of Chelyabinsk, where all the windows had been blasted out?? I
told him?that, as I understood it, the?strewnfield was farther "down
stream" because inertia?carried the rocks further beyond the blast,
like?what almost always happens?with fireballs. We later talked about
how the Tunguska event of June 30, 1908, was bigger than Chelyabinsk it
seemed, but probably not as big as the 101 crater forming event of
Sikhote Alin, Russia of Feb. 12, 1947.? Certainly, Tunguska was not as
big as what caused the near-mile-wide Barringer Crater in Arizona.? All
of a sudden, it hit Robert..."Maybe there really should be Tunguska
meteorites, but not where everyone has been looking for the last 105
years!"
?
It seemed like an extremely obvious conclusion to me!
?
Have we not learned anything from Barringer? There are NOT meteorites
at the bottom of that "blast zone," right?
?
Have we not learned anything from Chelyabinsk?? There are NOT
meteorites sitting amongst the broken glass in that "blast zone," right?
?
So why would there be Tunguska meteorites amongst the fallen trees at
the Tunguska blast zone?
?
It seems too obvious of a question to not to have been asked years ago,
so I assume someone smarter than us has done so already, and that
someone has poked all the holes into that theory, and thus they moved
on to the "Comet made of ice" theory as the best plausible explanation.
?
Unless Tunguska was close?to a?perpendicular - straight down - impact,
inertia should carry the Tunguska meteorite specimens farther along if
any survived, right?? But even with a straight down trajectory, we have
learned?from Doppler data, in more recent falls,?that wind can move
specimens substantial distances during the dark flight portion of their
fall, so even then,?if it was windy that fateful day in 1908, the
strewnfield still could have been moved after the blast occurred.
?
Tunguska was not a crater forming event, so there should not be a
"splash zone" such as what Barringer's Crater has with Canyon Diablo
meteorites.? It should have a many-kilometer-long typical looking
strewnfield that might start as close as just outside the fallen tree
blast zone or, depending on angle of entry, it could start and finish
many dozens of kilometers farther "down stream."
?
Sutter's Mill taught us that a huge mass can ablate away by over 99.9%
coming in.? And if Tunguska was made of comet ice or made of a loosely
held together rubble pile of asteroid debris, then sure, it could have
all vaporized, yet not made a crater or strewnfield...I suppose?? But
maybe not?? Again, I didn't do all that well in math in school, much
less understand the physics to know what is big enough or too big to
produce craters or to totally vaporize the mass.?
?
So, if Robert and I are wrong, I would like to know why.?
?
If we are right, WHERE should someone be looking to actually find the
potentially millions of dollars of meteorites that have been waiting to
be found all this time?
?
Maybe Chelyabinsk will be even more important than we
thought...especially if it helps us answer the biggest mystery in the
history of fireball?events: What caused the Tunguska Event?

Steve Arnold
Host of Science Channel's TV Series Meteorite Men
?????? www.ScienceChannel.com
Co-Founder of America's Meteorite Store: Meteorites & More, 28 1/2
Spring St., Eureka Springs, AR 72632
President Palladot Inc, Extra-terrestrial Gemstones
?????? www.Palladot.com
Facebook:? MeteoriteMan??
Facebook:? SteveArnoldMeteorite
Facebook:? Meteorite Men