[meteorite-list] Digital Camera for Studio Photography

From: Jodie Reynolds <spacerocks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 14:31:47 -0700

Hello Greg,

If you're going to do a macro lens, you also need a ring-light.

I have a 1-5x (1:1 - 5:1) Canon MP-E, but these days I prefer using
the Canon 100 f/2.8L Macro w/ISM (1:1) The close-focus on it is only
about a foot though. At 67mm it fits nicely with most any common
ring-light system.

At 100mm, selective AF/full-time manual, it's not a "one trick pony" in that it's a pretty fast lens
that one can stand-off with and use for a lot of different tasks with
nice soft bokka, ultrasonic focus and lens stabilization, so I can
also use it out in the field for things like photographing bugs and
still get enough depth-of-field to get environmental cues.

http://www.cabirds.com/index.php/Not-Birds/Bees/beefour

http://www.cabirds.com/index.php/Not-Birds/Damsel-and-Dragonflies/Damsel_0333

If you're setting up a lab environment, the Canon 65mm MP-E, with a
close focus of 0.8ft and 1-5x magnification can fill an entire
full-frame from a single water droplet. Strictly manual focus, no
bells and whistles, it's all about the macro - useless for anything
else.

--- Jodie