[meteorite-list] Exploring the Solar System in Antarctica (NWA vs Antarctica)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 15:45:06 -0400

Hi Adam and List,

Not taking into account old Saharan meteorites (like Nakhla and
Tatahouine), here is a list of some recent meteorites from the Sahara
that hold significant scientific and/or collector interest :

"Black Beauty" (NWA 7034)

Tissint

Jbilet Winselwan

NWA 5000

NWA 998

Almahata Sitta

NWA 4301

Zag

Gebel Kamil

Too many Vestans to list.

I threw together this list on the fly and in an arbitrary fashion.
The true number of Saharan meteorites valuable to science is subject
to interpretation, but it surely numbers in the many hundreds.
Granted, many NWA's are weathered and redundant, highly-equilibrated,
ordinary chondrites. But, many Antarctics are sub-gram fragments of
paired finds. So I think the signal-to-noise ratio of NWA's versus
Antarctics is about even.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG

--