[meteorite-list] Possible Ancient Meteorite

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 00:24:32 -0700

Hello Roman, All,
I'm no expert, but...

The vertical view of the vessel is triangular because the pottery
fragments of the lower portion came from a much larger vessel --
probably a bowl or two-handled vessel of some sort, given its apparent
diameter and the thickness of some of the fragments. The glazed and
delicately-formed lip and neck appear to be from a completely
different vase -- a nice one, at that. The handle is a bit odd, not
sure about it.

The first question that came to mind after seeing the images is "Why
would anyone glue pieces of a large pot together in the form of a much
smaller one?"

Upon closer inspection, I began to wonder why an archaeologist would
glue mismatched pieces of glass or glazed pottery, painted and scored
terracotta, and other ceramics of greatly differing thicknesses
together into a triangular shape that (crudely) mimics an amphora's
shape...albeit with one handle.

I'm surprised that anyone carbon-dated the site, given that the
pottery and details of other artifacts are often deemed suitable for
dating purposes.

I had too many questions after reading the provided description.
Sure, pass the fellow along to an expert...

Jason