[meteorite-list] "Meteorite" Sculpture by Katie Paterson

From: Laura_at_CopperWired.com <Laura_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 17:10:27 -0400

Ok, so now I have to give my two cents...sense! I too do artwork involving
meteorites, love the hunt, and collecting. I might note that "no meteorite
was harmed in the making of my work!" (I don't even like the idea of slicing
one into pieces, but that is my own issue, and it is done every day, and I
own slices of them too!)

There are a few questions to ask, that if these found items are raised up to
a level that, we as creatures with opposable thumbs and conscience thought,
elevate them to the point of greater importance, then has meteorites become
something of worship for modern day society? If so, then what right do any
of us have to claim ownership? Do they all belong in museums? What good
does that one on your desk, shelf or locked up in the climate controlled
safe do to the greater good, or is that self-indulgence at its finest, or
just for profit? I suppose that if ownership is the case, then we are by
right able to do whatever we desire, as it then belongs to the owner to keep
or shape into any existence we see fit. If for profit, then what does it
matter what the new owner does?

Some questions that cross my mind are, "What is the purpose in this artwork
and the end result?". I haven't read the full artist statement on this
direct subject, but have visited her website, and her work is very
interesting, and consummate. So...Since this has developed into a long
discussion with many views, that expand across the continents, then the
artist has accomplished a great deal of awareness on the topic, and on the
meteorite community and public. That is very difficult artistic task, so
this is a success in many ways! Then the next question is does this artwork
make a change, or create awareness. My answer to this is yes! So, even
though I cannot bring myself to intentionally manipulate a meteorite to the
point it is in a completely new form, I have to think her conceptual ideas
are a success, and my meager attempts at education and awareness thru
artistic means needs to be revisited. And that too has created a
self-awareness in myself, and will create change. So, by right, I feel her
work has done what art is truly about, and that is to create change in some
form, be it reaction, action or conscience, be it to conserve or preserve
the natural state moving forward, success!

Best Regards,
Laura Atkins
Art is the highest task and proper metaphysical activity of this life. -
Nietzsche