[meteorite-list] Not met. Related - Friend On Meteorite List

From: Greg Crinklaw <crinklaw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 09:28:36 -0700

I really don't think this discussion belongs here, but since you are
talking about the area where I grew up, rather than just where you drive
through, I feel I must comment. The San Joaquin/Central Valley of
California is so vast that it has more than one common name. You can't
treat it like it's one place for agriculture. The agriculture in the
north is very different from the south, and that of the west is very
different from the east. The source of water for agriculture on the east
side is underground or from canals that originate in the Sierra Nevada.
Each drought has put pressure on both sources, but agriculture still
thrives. The biggest issue on the east side is that the population keeps
expanding into the farm land. As a result the water table keeps going
lower. The source of water on the west side is underground and the
Sacramento river delta. The delta water was promised to farmers but
never fully delivered. When the wetlands started to disappear the water
rations were set ever lower (thus the signs about the government). With
large populations, wild lands, and agriculture all fighting for the same
water something is going to have to give. This is not a matter of
over-regulation, but one of necessary resource management. Better ways
of using the water with less waste, both for the residents and by
farmers is the only reasonable solution, and of course, people like our
friend here will cry foul about that, but this is simply a natural
result of having so many people living in such close quarters. You can't
just pretend it's still the wild west and let everybody use all the
water they'd like to.

Between all the ads and the non-meteorite related political discussion
on this list I am considering unsubscribing.

Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer