[meteorite-list] R: friction or ram pressure?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 18:41:54 -0600

Hi, all,

> the hot air heats the front
> surface of the meteoroid...

That's where the complexity is hiding.
The rammed air "jacket" is hotter the
deeper you get into it. The layer closest
to the meteoroid is the hottest, achieving
the plasma state and temperatures ---
30,000F to 50,000F.

Plasma does not heat anything much by
"contact." Instead, plasma at those
temperatures transfer heat by radiation.
The rammed air layers ahead are converted
to plasma by radiation until all but the
outermost layer of the "jacket" is plasma.
The technical term for this "jacket" is the
"meteor head."

On the inner side of the "meteor head," the
plasma transfers heat to the meteoroid,
by radiation. The spectrum of 30,000F plasma
runs from long radio waves to soft x-rays.
(You can Google up how to "listen" to meteors
by radio.)

It's the other end of the spectrum that
has the most powerful effect on meteoroid
rock. Soft x-rays can boil rock 10,000
times faster than your microwave can
overcook a chicken pot pie.

Areas of lower boiling point get excavated
faster, forming regmaglypts. Regmaglypts are
also caused by the irregularities in the
meteoroid's shape which affect the meteor
head's shape. Between the plasma and the
rock face there is little heat transferred
by conduction. Radiative transfer is the
predominant mechanism.

"Rock" plasma and atmospheric plasma mix
as the plasma escapes by moving from the
center of the meteoroid face back 90
degrees to the point where it can be "shed"
into the trail, combining as the plasma
cools to the point where atoms CAN combine
into meteoritic "dust." They can be seen
as areas of the trail just behind the
meteoroid described as "burning."

There is little physical contact between
the meteoroid and the plasma in our usual
sense; hot as it is, it's not very dense
by Earthly standards, just more dense than
the atmosphere at 60 miles altitude. But,
it's just 5 or 10 times hotter than the
surface of the Sun. That does the trick
very nicely. "Friction" is not really an
adequate term for the heating mechanism.

Assuming a generally spherical shape for
the meteoroid, to travel back half the
meteoroid's diameter to reach the point
where the tail detaches it must traverse
a distance of 0.78 the meteoroid's diameter,
hence, there must be a radial "plasma wind"
accelerating across the face of the meteoroid
to a velocity 57% greater than that of the
meteoroid itself. We assume this is
responsible for the flow lines.

Here's some more (technical) information
for those more fascinated. First, an
excellent general summary of radar studies
of meteor heads and trails here:
http://www.cas.uio.no/Publications/Seminar/Convergence_Dyrud.pdf

More technical treatments here:
http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/4/817/2004/acp-4-817-2004.pdf
and here:
http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public/PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-IST-056/MP-IST-056-
12.pdf
and then there's this tome (seriously;
it's a book!):
http://ir.lib.uwo.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1177&context=etd

A lot of this stuff is hotly debated. How
many tons of meteors are delivered to Earth
every year? They're fighting over that. How
many meteors a year? Fighting. And so on.

Enjoy.

Sterling K. Webb