[meteorite-list] [IMCA List] Martin Goff's Out Reach

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:50:23 -0500

Hi Jim,

That is exactly my point. Look, the last thing I want to do is pick a
fight with the IMCA. Been there, done that, don't want to do it
again. I buried the hatchet years ago and I wish the IMCA success in
their endeavors.

When anyone makes a statement that implies that IMCA-sourced specimens
are a safer buy for collectors, then that is also an implied statement
that non-IMCA specimens are less trustworthy and therefore less
desirable. This hurts the non-members who are honest but choose not
to be members.

Here is an analogy :

The IMCA is like a fraternity for meteorite dealers. In many ways, it
functions like a college fraternity - you have to pledge and be
sponsored by a member. You have rules to obey to remain a member. But
outside the confines of the fraternity house, all members are the same
as non-members : they are all students studying the same courses
offered by the same professors. Being a fraternity member does not
make one's college degree any more valid than a non-member's.

Best regards and Happy Huntings,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com