[meteorite-list] Met Bulletin Update - 43 New Approvals and 1 Lunar (The Gobi Desert Opens Up)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 20:25:51 -0500

Agreed. I noticed that. I just reported what I saw in the Bulletin
was far as assigning names goes. NonCom said 43 meteorites, but it
readily apparent it is the same meteorite. This is similar to what we
see with the various Antarctic programs - each tiny fragment gets it's
own catalog number. I wonder how many different Antarctic meteorites
there actually are, once pairings are ruled out of the overall count?
Does anyone know?

If one looks around a map of the world, there are known deserts (hot
and cold) of plentiful recoveries - Atacama, Sahara, Mojave, Kalahari,
and SW USA dry lake beds. All are known and well-hunted. Of the
remaining deserts (like the Gobi), hunting has been limited. Given
that foreigners had very limited access to the Gobi and Chinese law
forbids unapproved exportation, it seems like the Gobi would be a
prime candidate for recoveries.

There will never be another "gold rush" of meteorites on the scale
that the Sahara provided - it was a unique set of circumstances
involving geography, legalities, and timing. The Gobi might be packed
with unrecovered meteorites - the tip of the iceberg is just now being
exposed.......or not.

Just like Antarctica and NWA - the pairing system has yet to be
refined to account for large numbers of individual fragments that are
paired.

Best regards and Happy Huntings,

MikeG

--