[meteorite-list] [IMCA List] Martin Goff's Out Reach

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 03:31:28 +0000 (UTC)

Maybe Michael's questions are rhetorical, but I haven't read any answers or replies.
After all, in the past others have asked these same questions, and still never any satisfactory answers.

But, allow me to answer the question of "how do you guarantee authenticity?", by stating the obvious:
authenticity is established through well-documented provenance.

Which leads me to question why chose Battle Mountain and NWA 869 to use as examples to prove your case. You couldn't pick two meteorites that would be less supportive of the point you are trying to make.
I'm not saying that there aren't too many NWA chondrites being self-paired to NWA 869 for marketing convenience, but this is one that dealers somehow have maintained a respectable "batting average" with their guessing. Besides, how many complaints are there? Who's expectations are not being met when they purchase an uncut chondrite labeled as "NWA 869"?

Battle Mountain! BaM is the best example of a well-documented, recent fall. It has the shortest chain of provenance! It fell late 2012; it's hunted and recovered by collectors and dealers; it's sold by those same dealer's and BINGO, it's in your collection. Any questions? If so, don't have very far to go to get answers. That's called "provenance".
Who is "guaranteeing authenticity"? A quick search of "Completed" eBay auctions shows only one meteorite dealer (Mendy) having sold a 3.9g partslice of BaM, where he clearly shows his source, the finder, by way of the original label. That's another example of provenance.

But just because Michael used bad examples doesn't mean that the point he is trying to make isn't valid. In fact, I think the majority of us agree with him in principle.
Yet, asking questions such, "How do I really know that it is Battle Mountain and not one of hundreds of NWA L6 look-a-likes?" is very counter-productive, to say the least. Given that other customers can ask those same question, it's akin to pouring gasoline over oneself and then volunteering to light the ceremonial Burning-Man bon-fire.
To satisfy my curiosity, I found a link to images of "hundreds of NWA L6 look alikes": http://tinyurl.com/ksdmulw
Now, compare those to these images of BaM (L6) : http://tinyurl.com/oukblbh

Wow, never expected that my answer to a rhetorical question would be this long.
Anyway, I should thank everyone for giving my this opportunity to talk once more about Battle Mountain.
It has prompted me to relinquish 2 of my BaM specimens, and I've uploaded them onto eBay.
If it makes everyone happy, I WON'T "guarantee authenticity"!
But I'm still going to guarantee your satisfaction, or your money back!
(Isn't that really the only thing that IMCA can require of their members?
;-)
Bob V.