[meteorite-list] [IMCA List] Martin Goff's Out Reach

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 23:50:42 -0500

Hi Robert!

I am glad to have this conversation, because I think it can shed some
light on the issues of provenance and authenticity for newcomers who
do not yet understand how the meteorite market works.

First, I want to emphasize for motive for asking the question was not
to show-up or start a feud of any kind with the IMCA.

My motive was defend the honest non-members of the meteorite dealing
world who are implicated every time a statement is made that suggests
IMCA-sourced meteorites are more reliable than non-IMCA meteorites.

In fact, I do sincerely wish the IMCA success because they are the
only game in town when it comes policing the meteorite market - the
market is surely better for their efforts and I would not put my past
personal issues with them over the integrity of the market as a whole.
So to the IMCA I say - rock on.

About authenticity :

I chose NWA 869 as an example not because it is easily self-paired,
which it is. You are correct in stating that the vast majority of
instances when NWA 869 is offered, it is indeed NWA 869. I used it as
an example because it is probably one of the most widely-distributed
meteorites on the market, with the possible exception of Campo del
Cielo. While the success rate of pairing NWA 869 stones is quite
high, the overwhelming amount of self-pairing that goes on in regard
to 869 is problematic in and of itself. We all agree that
self-pairing should not be the rule of the land, yet it happens with
great frequency with 869. By law of averages, there should be some
mistakes - 869 offered as unclassified and unclassifieds offered as
869. (Although technically any self-paired meteorite that is not
analyzed in a lab is "unclassified")

Newbies may not realize how easily and accurately 869 can be
self-paired by an experience eye. They just see that meteorite all
over the market and the usual newbie question will arise - how do I
know it is a meteorite at all? Or, how do I know it is NWA 869 and
not something else? Newbies who are wondering such things, might come
to the conclusion that such a meteorite is better purchased from an
IMCA source, when in fact, almost all sources of 869 engage in
non-scientific self-pairing, so therefore an IMCA-sourced 869 is no
better or no worse than a non-IMCA-sourced 869.

Well, the IMCA seller is obligated to refund the buyer's money if an
authenticity issue arises later, right? Maybe. If they value their
IMCA membership, they will refund the buyer's money with no questions
asked. If they don't give a hoot about their membership, they may
resign and walk away from the IMCA without issuing a refund to the
buyer - this has happened before. Really, the issue of giving refunds
is not an IMCA issue, it is the hallmark of an ethical seller,
regardless of their affiliation with any group.

Ok, Battle Mountain was a bad example. I did not consider the limited
distribution and superior documentation of the fall. Let's strike that
one and just use the example of a non-NWA fall (pick one) versus a
fresh-appearing NWA find. If an unethical seller offers a NWA find
stone as a more-valuable fall, how can any person or group "guarantee
authenticity" short of full lab analysis? If a question arises, the
stone will need to be microprobed. The IMCA does not own a
microprobe, although many members certainly have access to one at
various institutions.

Let's say the suspect stone is microprobed and is revealed to be a
different petrologic type than the stone was being offered as. For
Battle Mountain, it is an L6. If the suspect stone is revealed to be
an H5, then it is obviously not Battle Mountain. Mystery solved and
the suspect stone is not Battle Mountain. The seller in that case is
either a scammer or an unwitting dupe.

But, what if the microprobe reveals the suspect stone is indeed an L6.
The problem becomes more complex. Ratios of target minerals can be
compared and if they are wildly-different, then the mystery is solved.
But what if the suspect L6 has mineral ratios within the standard for
deviation or the margin of error for the fall in question? Then what?
 Thin-section analysis? Or....?

Guaranteeing "authenticity" opens up a very deep rabbit hole.

Perhaps a better motto would be "satisfaction guaranteed" - and even
that can be problematic if the member in question resigns and runs
without giving a refund. Would the buyer be satisfied with such a
result?

Like I said before, I think the IMCA is a good idea and serves a good
purpose in the community. However, they should be careful when
issuing statements such as "authenticity guaranteed" because
determining authenticity requires extensive analysis by reputable
scientists in a lab stocked with millions of dollars worth of
high-tech equipment.

Best regards and Happy Huntings,

MikeG

--