[meteorite-list] June Nevada Trip Questions

From: Raremeteorites <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:38:16 -0700

Dear List Memebers,

There has been several questions regarding my June Nevada trip report so I
will post the same answer I gave an intereseted list member.

Thank you for the interest. We would have searched dry lake beds but the
weather didn't cooperate. Every lake bed we passed was filled with water or
mud. We planned the trip for June which is normally the driest month. We
always have alternate search ideas thus the prospecting for gold. Gold is
many times easier to find provided you have the right equipment. Gold fever
set in when one team memebr picked up a rock and there was gold dust
clinging to it explaining why our metal detectors were going wild near low
spots.

The meteorite in the Gold Field antique shop was a small ordinary chondrite
which was found on a nearby dry lake bed. Many gold prospectors ignore
anything other than gold or flashy crystals so I am sure many meteorites
were discarded.

I asked a famous top-ten prospector (more like the top two) to hang onto the
"Curious Steel Rocks" they encounter from time-to-time but he said some of
them were too big to pack out on horseback. He has a GPS on his Minelab
metal detector so he promised to mark the find locations for our next trip
if they were too unwieldy to handle.

Take Care,

Adam
Team LunarRock