[meteorite-list] Alamo Impact Crater Recognized

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 08:44:18 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi,

Sunday, the Las Vegas Review Journal newspaper carried a second page headline that mentions the recent paper published in the current issue of Geosphere, the online mag for the Geological Society of America, arguing the legitimacy of the 382 million year old "Alamo Impact" and doubling it's diameter to between 69 and 93 miles. Those of us who have visited the physical area and collected impact breccia sometimes in the face of criticism of the size and even the legitimacy of the event are vindicated by the published findings of some several authors including Retzler, Warme and others.

The RJ story can be accessed on the newspaper's online site.....Geosphere has the scientific paper online.

Regards to all and thanks to the Hupes and Dirk Ross for putting me on the physical material of which I have a small truck load recovered from near what may be the more eastern edge of the remaining displacement.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536 MetSoc