[meteorite-list] Social media might destroy meteorite collecting and selling!

From: Shawn Alan <shawnalan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 12:41:47 -0700

Hello Listers

I have noticed an explosion of people insisting they have found a
meteorite popping up everywhere on FB. And now ebay is having an influx
of fakes being offered on there. Couple years ago it wasnt that often
you would see fakes on there, but now its a common theme. I mean people
think that its a common occurrence with finding a meteorite, and now
they come infused with gold. What should we do? Today I saw 5 fake
meteorites being sold on ebay within a couple minutes when I do my ebay
search to see whats been posted recently to ebay, that's kinda scary and
some of them have bids. I noticed that the more meteorite groups that
keep popping up on FB the more people think they have a meteorite and
insist its real. These social media groups are fragmenting the core
group of meteorites collectors, sellers, and dealers. Couple years ago
MC was buzzing, but now its quite on here. Also on FB people are lazy
and just hit like LOL and say nothing cause they have to read the next
post and like that. Don't get me wrong I dig FB but I think we need to
rethink these social media outlets and start chatting more on MC. :)

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebay store http://www.ebay.com/sch/imca1633ny/m.html
Website http://meteoritefalls.com