[meteorite-list] Social media might destroy meteorite collecting and selling!

From: Peter Davidson <P.Davidson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 11:43:45 +0000

Shawn

I agree with you to a very large extent. The number of "fakes" and "meteorwrongs" appearing online, and through public enquiries to the museum, does seem to be increasing. In the last couple of weeks I have seen, or dealt with about half a dozen of them. Whether or not this can be blamed on social media I don't know. Yes, it does spread awareness of meteorites and increases their visibility. If the result of that is someone contacting me at the museum with an enquiry, then I am more than happy to deal with that in a courteous, open, honest and professional way. My concern is that, having given a negative answer (and they almost without question are) to an enquiry about a possible meteorite, I (or any curator/collector) become the subject of a vicious trolling campaign and find that our professional (and sometime personal) reputation is brought into question for no other reason than we gave the "wrong" answer.

Social media is a powerful tool. I would say that it is mostly benign, even trivial, in the overwhelming number of cases. But just occasionally things do get out of hand.

Cheers

Peter Davidson
Senior Curator of Mineralogy

Natural Sciences Department