[meteorite-list] high-end collectors high-end meteorites andrareness

From: Stefan Ralew <stefan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 16:52:41 +0200

I agree. If someone falls into the category "high end collector", then it
should be David Weir. And this has nothing to do with a bank account. I know
him as a real enthusiast, and his website is endless inspiration for many
other collectors!

On the other side, I don?t like the term "high end collector" at all.
Michael F. explained us already what it means, a collector with deep pockets
who buy expensive pieces. And what are the other 95+% of meteorite
collectors? Low end collectors who buy the "crap" (btw, another word which I
don?t like to hear in conjunction with meteorites) on Ebay??

Please don?t misunderstand me, it?s totally fine with me if wealthy people
buy expensive meteorites. I?m happy for them and I?m happy when I can serve
them with my service. I know that some of them donate material to
institutions, or make their impressive collections accessible to the public,
which I find very noble. What I don?t like is to sort people into categories
depending on their wealth. Btw, my clients are mostly the same after 15
years, I still sell to meteorite collectors and institutions, small and big
collectors alike. And it still works!

Cheers,
Stefan