[meteorite-list] Local to Las Vegas expert needed to rewiew afind.

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 16:53:50 -0400

Hi Bob, Adam and List,

>This is a concern that others have shared with me, and has prompted me to
>write on this subject in three
>separate articles, which essentially said,
>"Hey, here are some US chondrites that need to be classified."
>Still haven't
>received any offers

Do you think that the scientists that are classifying these stones have been overwhelmed by the high number of stones coming from the same recovery area? Even when meteorites are found within a known area the finders often feel that they are different and are eager to have them classified. Many of the stones are obviously paired and it may not make financial sense for the scientists to spend time and resources on each individual stone. I do realize that their have been stones found that are uniquely different than others in the same dense collection area. I believe those should be classified without a doubt. What I am trying to decide at what point does classifying each tiny fragment become excessive? Maybe we should ask the Scientists that do the classifications what their opinion is.

Stewart Valley 120 plus finds finds,
Tungston Mountain 600 meteorites/ fragments
Lucerne Valley 124 meteorites
Yelland Dry lake Hundreds of fragments
Coyote Dry lake 341 meteorites
Stump Springs 130 plus meteorites

>I gave up on a classification that was submitted in 2005. It was a fresh
>type
>3 oriented chondrite that my wife, Zann found. It was the very first

>meteorite she ever recovered and it was a cold find. It would have been

>serial number one but I think the unsavory practice of embargoing dry lake

>bed finds interfered with the classification data being published in the

>Bulletin.

>I no longer submit U.S. finds for classification. I prefer to
>keep
>personally found meteorites whole and intact. Why cut a personal find
>when
>the odds of it being published are slim, even with the data submitted by
>Nom Com recognized scientist? Mine stay in a box so that I can enjoy the

>memories of the hunt at a later date.

>Adam

Hi Adam, I don't know your situation on the issue of embargoing dry lake beds or collection areas. Regarding Zann's find were there any previous finds made at that lake bed? If so, I feel the original finder should get the credit and the first number. The subsequent finds should be issued numbers in order of their find date. The only case that a find should get a new number is if it was a new area with no previous meteorite finds. Many of the lake beds have been hunted for years with great success. There were hundreds of field hours put in, recording of data, etc. I had a similar issue when a meteorite was found in an area that I had been working. I had hundreds of hours involved, stones classified, provisional numbers, etc. Another stone was found by a hunter and he attempted to have his find assigned #1. Both the finder and the scientist doing his classification knew my history with this area and the many finds made. They still attempted to get the number changed. When they were unsuccessful they tried
to change the name of that find. It was clearly paired with finds from the area. It is amazing that someone would attempt this.

Sonny