[meteorite-list] Ad - Osceola Fall

From: Larry Atkins <thetoprok_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 11:48:55 -0400

Hello Meteorite Fans,

As you've probably heard, Osceola is now official!

In celebration, we would like to make some material available to the collector market. A lot of people have been asking for it but we wanted to wait until it was officially recognized.

There are a few interesting facts about this meteorite that I'd like to share with those that are not aware. First, this meteorite is scientifically interesting, more so than the average L6 chondrite. It is currently being studied in the lab and results will be published in the near future. Next, this is only the 6th meteorite from Florida and only the second witnessed fall from that state.That's some of the lowest meteorite counts for any state in the U.S., with only a few having less. This is the only witnessed fall from Florida to become available to the collector!! The other witnessed fall (Orlando), was a ~180g single stone and as far as I know it has never been offered for sale. Osceola was the 9th fireball of 10, tracked down and located using Doplar radar, a rare occurrence to say the least. Other meteors have fallen in Florida and people have tried to find them but it's never happened, likely due to the inhospitable hunting conditions. I'm aware of at least 4 parties that have gone out on multi day
hunts looking for Osceola without success. The remaining meteorites are being assimilated, the swamp is consuming them and they are turning into the Earth right now. It's unlikely that anymore than a stone or two more will ever be found, let alone a mother load. This is a very rare, collectible fall meteorite.

In hand the slices are quite nice. The material looks best unpolished so that is how they are offered. With a hand lens, in good light, you can easily see the abundant copper, as well as a host of other colors like green, gold, blue and bronze, a whole rainbow unlike anything I've personally noticed in a meteorite. There are a few thin shock veins, some black and some filled with metal. Thin black fusion crust surrounds each slice, contrasting nicely with the lighter, yet slightly shock darkened interior. The full slices range in weight from 16 grams up to 41 grams.

If you've not yet read the story of the fall and recovery, go to Mikesastrophotos site and check it out. He's written an exciting story with lots of pictures. Space.com picked up the story too, as well as many others.

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/comets/osceola-meteorite-recovery/

Space.com

http://www.space.com/32046-florida-fireball-meteorite-hunt-success.html

 You can also see a t.v. interview with me here;

http://www.news4jax.com/news/hunters-find-meteorites-in-the-osceola-national-forest

I've prepared an array of specimens to suit most collector budgets. Full slices and large part slices will be presented in a high quality Riker Box with an identification card. Smaller part slices and fragments come in a plastic gem jar and include an ID card as well. Please keep in mind there is a very limited amount of this material and it's first come, first served. There are 8 full slices total, maybe only 7 if I need to break one up for smaller pieces. Out of the 991 grams TKW there is about 400 grams total that will be made available.

Prices break down like this:
< 1 gram is $175/g
1 - 5 grams $150/g
6 - 10 grams $125/g
11+ grams $100/g

Email me off list for for inquiries and photo's.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sincerely,
Larry Atkins
?