[meteorite-list] Meteorite dust changes theory of life’s origin

From: Andy Tomkins <rockdocta_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 14:14:24 +1000

Hi Pete

That's not what our paper in Nature is about. Some of the media are just
trying to sensationalise it a bit (a lot). The best articles are in The
Economist and National Geographic. I asked the author of that article in
The Australian to change "origin of life" to "evolution of life". Because
our paper speculates about a methane-rich lower atmosphere, there may be
some implications for this (it's thought that most methane in the Archean
was produced by microorganisms), but much more work needs to be done.

Perhaps if you read the primary paper you'll see why we think
micrometeorites can tell us about Earth's early atmosphere.

All the best,
Andy Tomkins