[meteorite-list] Stability of Sericho (Habaswein)

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 17:58:48 -0800

The fact that dealers are applying sealants and anti-rust coatings to
this Pallasite, like an old 55 Chevy from the East Coast, indicates that
Sericho (Habaswein) is indeed a ruster. I received several reports
today of rusticles, green goo, chemical smells, dislodged crystals and
popping noises coming from specimens. Maybe it should be upgraded from
ruster to serious ruster.

Stable Pallasites like Esquel do not require any special treatment other
than avoiding chlorinated water during preparation, proper high-grade
polishing and low humidity storage/display.

I avoid rusters at all costs,

Adam