[meteorite-list] Re-2: Blue Salt Crystals

From: Bernd V. Pauli <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:21:50 +0000

Hi Paul, AL, and List,

AL wrote:

> The blue halide crystals were found early on in Zag. I believe they
> were found in other meteorites (Monahans, Tx?) but information has a
> way of finding it's way back into the public eye.

Correct! The Monahans (H5) and Zag (H3-6) meteorites are the only
meteorites known to contain *liquid* water. The water was found in
salt crystals inside the meteorites.

Monahans (1998) contains contains blue crystals of halite (NaCl)
and sylvite (KCl).*

*GIBSON Jr. E.K. et al. (1998) Monahans (1998) H5 chondrite: An unusual meteorite fall with extraterrestrial halite and sylvite (Meteoritics 33-4, 1998, A057).

AL also wrote:

> Yes, they were packed out by camel and the
> camel sweat story was a part of the story.

Doesn't the camel sweat story belong to El Hammami (H5)???

Best from Germany,

Bernd