[meteorite-list] Met Bulletin Update : 51 new approvals, including many old early-NWA's, rare iron IIF, and more.

From: Mendy Ouzillou <mendy.ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 14:27:01 -0500

Roberto,

Well
 You are right. Unless you bought material that can be traced back to
any of the mass holders listed in the classification, then those stones are
not ?Erg Chech 002? and have either been visually paired and sold improperly
under that name, visually paired and sold as visually paired, AND/OR are in
process of getting their own numbers paired by classification.

Just because a meteorite can be paired visually does not mean that it should
or can be classified as such. I would recommend reading the guidelines
(https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/docs/nc-guidelines.pdf) to understand how
names and pairings are determined for falls versus dense collection area
finds. The system is not perfect and for sure needs improvements to reflect
the situation on the ground, but I believe we as a community are better off
recommending changes working with and within the MetSoc. However, doing so
means that we have to address not just our concerns but also the concerns of
the MetSoc and NomCom. In order to find common ground, we as hunters,
collectors, dealers, etc. need to understand their reasons for why the rules
are as they are. Changes forced from the outside are rarely effective.

If you want to have a more in-depth discussion, feel free to contact me off
list.

Mendy