Re: Orgueil:Is it really from Mars?

" Of course I was not there at the beginning of the Solar System."
                  Harold Urey, Letter to NASA, 1961

	I would like to thank Matt for pointing out that sedimentary rock
does not neccesarily originate from water. I am aware of this, and
decided not to include those types not formed through hydrologic
processes. I did this, because I wanted to explain what the author of the
article was using as evidence for a sedimentary origin. This, in turn,
left an oversimplification in it's wake. I apologize for this oversight.
For completeness, there are also paleosols(ancient dirt), Caliche
deposits(a dirt rich in calcium), evaporites(deposits formed by drying up
water), glacial related bulldozing of sediments in to piles forming what
is called a moraine. I could keep going, but I think everbody gets the idea.
	John Brandenberg explictly states in his article:" The
material(from meteorite bombardment) would form sediments of sorted fines
in large lakes or seas on the early Mars that then dried and lay relativly
undisturbed until a large impact ejected fragments into outer space". He
used the term " sorted fines" which, to me any way, indicate some sort of
layering, or preferential grain size orientation(larger grains on bottom,
because they are heavier, and smaller ones in succesion until the
smallest are on top). This cannot be seen in Orgueil at all(if you own
Orgueil, look at it, do you see any layering? if anyone does I would like
to know...).
	It is his choice of terms which leads to the questions of
his hypothesis. Also coupled with no experimental data of his own, leads
to doubt(he got all his information from other researchers).
If Mr. Brandenberg would explain in more detail how he concluded
that,among other things,Orgueil was a "sorted fine", then I would have more
confidence in it. Until then, I will stand on my feeling about the paper,
and wait for more clarity in the matter.

Frank Stroik